Monday, December 04, 2006

Catch Up Time

I failed miserably at Nanowrimo - it was a fantastic session though managing to get over 12000 words out - it was a purge.

2 weeks ago I took Sparrow for a walk in the park, on a Thursday morning - he was then attacked by two dogs; first chased by a rotweiler called Sam, then Sam's friend, Sylvie, an American Pit Bull thought it would be a fun game to try and kill the much smaller Jack Russell. Promptly clamped its teeth around Sparrowmaticus's throat and squeezed. I went beserk. Utterly and completely. Ending up smacking this dog with the back of my umbrella - eventually even sticking my hands in its mouth trying to force its jaws apart. Its owner eventually realised that this was more than a game and then tried to get her dog off mine. Sparrow had two punctures in him - I took the day off and took him to the Vet where he got injections and a course of antibiotics. I also rang the police - they came around on Friday - I had also taken the Friday off - to take my statement and to see what the pup looked like after his attack.


The short story is: everyone in the park, all the dogwalkers are now scared of walking their dogs in the park as this woman - dogwoman to those of us who have experienced the awful day - is still bringing her dog (the rottie) to the park - the other one, she told me, a week later, when I happened across her in the park, is undergoing obedience training. I pointed out that Sylvie should be muzzled as it is clearly not a well dog; especially as it had not only attacked Sparrow but also another dog, a border collie and its owner had to beat it off with a stick! She said nothing, talking over me. I also told her that the police want to speak to her about her dogs and the fact that she can't control them - well, she ignored that too. But agreed to pay me Sparrow's vet fees. Frankly, I couldn't give a damn about the vet fees, all I want is for her dog to be under control. Or for her to completely stay away from our small park - everyone is now scared of bringing their animals to the park - am half tempted to get a giant great dane or something to become Sparrowmaticus' guardian.

Grr.

What else...

Oh! I spotted the kestrel in the park - here he is: absolutely gorgeous!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/lilifae1973/Kestrel2.jpg

Other than that, just working, just writing and reading.

And my gosh - have we got a tonne of books to work our way through - I have "discovered" the charity shops and their fantastic selection of really arbitrary books. I have bought tonnes - enough to keep me busy for a few weeks, maybe a few months, at least. Which is rather amazing, taking into consideration what an addict I am.

I have also submitted a review of Mike Carey's The Devil You Know to www.fantasybookspot.com - so we see if anything comes from that - hoot, hoot - hold thumbs.

Other than that, waiting for Christmas to happen - walked around a pedestrainised Regent and Oxford Street on Saturday and MY GOSH, it was amazing - I think they should make it a permanent fixture. It was such an odd feeling walking down a quiet, traffic free Regent Street and being able to look up at the shops and buildings and SEE what an amazing place it was - modernism vying for attention right beside oldie worldie. Grand. And needless to say it was a bumper day for retailers - they must have made shedloads of money.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell that Dogwoman she'd better watch herself and her dogs
or i'll fly back there to deal with her, nobody messes with
my little budy.
How is he doing?
Is he ok?

Liz said...

Yep, the critter is fine, running around like he never had holes in him.

Anonymous said...

I commend you for blamig the owner, not the dog. Around here, they try to make a breed illegal, rather than expect the owners to take any real responsibility.

Hope your pooch heals up soon!!!