Monday, November 26, 2007

Beowulf

We've been to see the newest version of Beowulf at Beckenham Odeon this afternoon. I've come away from it feeling a bit taken aback by how much I enjoyed it. My love for the story, the original, that is, is abiding. It is one of my five "if you are ever stranded on an island and you can take five books with you" books.

I've not encountered this style of photography before and was convinced I would hate it. But after a few moments, like in 300, you don't notice it anymore.

The characters are larger than life, Beowulf's character dominates the screen. He is the Hero of the story, you understand his quest for fame and glory. Like Achilles in the Illiad he is overbearing, full of himself, setting himself up for a big fall. You can almost smell the mistakes he makes.

Grendel is excellently portrayed. The language he uses with his mother is just at the limit of your understanding. It makes them both unusual, enigmas to pursue.

A few things had to change to pull it off but mostly the story sticks to the story. An interesting twist towards the end and the most amazing dragon fight at the end. Both Neil Gaiman and Roger Avery as screenwriters did the story proud.

I would definitely recommend it heartily. Yet another example of mythic story telling.


No comments: