Thursday, August 25, 2005

Drunk people?



Holy hell - what is it with people? We have just come back from having a lovely dinner at Strada in town, dessert at Haagen-Dazs, with some friends of ours. We stood waiting on the concourse at Charing Cross for the sumat past whatever train down to Hayes and watched, in amazement as a busload of drunk people, beautifully attired in lovely office clothes staggered about. Hopelessly shitfaced. Especially the women.

The one woman, was so drunk that she probably walked fifteen rows of footprints, staggering and tilting from port to starboard. I just prayed feverently that we didn't have one of the upchuck types in our carriage.

Now, I can appreciate getting drunk. Been there, done that, fell asleep on the pool table, and am still a legend in some places...or is that a warning? I forget which...but jaysus, can you blame someone for robbing you/raping you if you are completely and utterly senseless? If you have no clue where you are or what you are doing? And then, in the morning telling your mates "Gods, I can't remember how I got home last night!" and having a laugh about it, if a bit nervously. In this day and age it really shocks me to the core how people - women especially - can allow that to happen themselves! Firstly, have they got no shame; secondly, aren't they worried about being taken advantage of (murdered, raped, robbed, all of the above) - and it isn't like I am making this up - everyone has seen the headlines lately. And these things happening to men, not just women, which is scarier still.

Why not travel home with a mate who is a bit less drunk than you? Why not shell out £30 and crash at the Travelodge? Why not club together and get a room - an orgy (always use protection) I am sure is preferable to trying to get home whilst so badly drunk that you started dry-humping the ticket machine on the concourse. Yes, it was that bad...and that funny.

In no way, shape or form, am I a Puritan, far from it...I suppose I was just lucky enough to have someone to take care of me; sling me onto the back of the bike and tie my hands around their waist so that I didn't fall off around some of those corners.

Poor them...I hope they get home and that that late night McDonalds stays down.

No comments: