Monday, February 13, 2006

Naming and shaming




If you read the previous post, you know I did my first bit of online shopping with one of our local supermarkets here in the UK fully expecting fantastic service and the convenience of having it all delivered to the house, as we were without a car for about 2 weeks - the alternator went and died on us.

Har! The supermarket in question rang the night of the delivery, at quarter past eight to say "the delivery won't be taking place as there is a problem at the store, please call customer services to arrange for a different time, the following day."

""$^$%&%^**(()&*)*()_ - is what I thought. I rang customer services, fully expecting to be treated as a preferred customer as the delivery had been cancelled by them and not us. The customer service chap sounded about ten and seemed petrified of me. Now, I know I can be scary once I get going, but at that point, I was merely bemused and a bit curious.

Him: Oh madam, we can only fit you in on the 9 - 11 pm delivery slot.

Me: What, how is that possible? My delivery was cancelled, surely I get preferred delivery times. I have NO food in the house. Our off-licence on the corner closes at half seven at night. I say again, I have NO food in the house.

Him: I understand. But there is nothing I can do about the slots. I can make sure you are refunded your £3.99 delivery charge.

Me: Do you know what went wrong at the branch?

Him: No, not a clue, madam.

Me: Give me the branch number.

Him: Rattles off the number.

I say thank you. I hang up and ring the branch.

It eventually gets answered.

Me: Hi, I am ringing to enquire why there are no deliveries this evening. I have received a message on my mobile stating that there is a problem at the branch.

The Branch: Madam, I have got a list of customers who I am ringing to notify them of the problem we are currently experiencing. We can't deliver any orders.

Me: Why? What has happened?

The Branch: Madam, I am not entirely sure...I think we are having problems with the vans.

Me: What? All of them?

The Branch in a vague voice: Madam, I can't say, I'm afraid. I really don't know...I think it must be the vans. That's what I heard. They just gave me a list and told me to ring customers...

Me: It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Chelsea is playing an important football match and the drivers are rather watching the game than working, is it?

The Branch: I'm afraid I cannot comment on that, madam.

I hang up.

Thursday I wrote a stinking letter to the supermarket. What shit service. For a first time online customer as well - I am shocked and will NEVER EVER AGAIN buy from there EVER AGAIN, online or otherwise.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Yes! letter writing is good therapy. And if you're really good at it they send you stuff to shut you up :)

Cheezy said...

If it's any consolation, Chelsea got stuffed 3-0 :-)

I've never done my grocery shopping online... (we live about 1 minute away from both a Sainsbury and a Somerfield - this is one of the only advantages of 'high street living'; it's good if you can put up with the screaming sirens and 24 hr drunks)... but if I ever have to shop this way, thank you for the tip, I'll make sure I avoid Tesco like the bubonic plague...