Saturday, February 23, 2008

A music blog



I am really excited about the new music coming to the market in 2008.


I've not really paid that much attention to music the past few months, being completely wrapped up in my coursework. Music was there to see me through my journey to and from work. On weekends it was invariably just listening to the radio.


But, having gone back to gym more regularly, I've been paying more attention to my music on my mp3 player and realised that I've got a lot of "old" music on there. Not that there is anything wrong with that, per se...but it is good to find new artists that enthuse you. And I have.


I've discovered Adele, her amazing album 19 - which I got just yesterday. Really good - but very much Eliza Wren Payne. Her style reminds me of Eliza's - very similar quirky songs, the style she sings in and her voice...but she is very much her own person. I have no idea the hype about her, but clearly its been played out very well. And it is worthy of the hype, in my opinion.


Another lady whom I can't wait to see live or own the cd of is Duffy. Not only is she gorgeous, killer dimples, and very talented, her music is amazing. She has a rich soulful voice and it reminds me a bit of music from divas in the sixties and seventies. Her album is out very soon so I will place a pre-order for that to come through. They have the official video for her song Mercy on amazon.co.uk and youtube.com.


There is another young lady out called:Colbie Caillat who is another singer/songwriter - yet another good voice hitting the market. This is the video on youtube of her song "Bubble". How incredibly natural and effortless does she make this look? (insert jealous face) I hope she makes it HUGE.


Then I recently bought the Plain White T's album and have been listening to that a lot. Also Newton Faulkner who is very fun and funky...and I think his image - dreadlocked and a bit scruffy - belies completely how hard he's worked to get his music out there. And indeed, his talent seems effortless.


Then - for me - someone who I think I will like even more than I do already - David Jordan. His song: The Sun goes down, is just ... mad. It makes you want to dance and ponce around. The album is incredible. Place in my heart is my next favourite track from the album.


I also heard some good things about a band called Ben's Brother and bought the album. Their music is good, solid. Their album very nice to listen to...but I'm not 100% about it though - FG loves it and listens to it all the time. He lead singer has a bit of Rod Stewart to his voice...which sort of puts me off a bit. But there you go.


We also got Biffy Clyro who are outstanding, as well as The Editors who has been around for a while and I kept hearing their music and then decided to ask for their cd as a xmas present. Amazing stuff. Very talented artists and here's hoping they'll be around a long good while still.


A few weeks ago, in the sales, I bought Amy MacDonald's debut album and I have to say - I really have high hopes for her. Her voice is that little hoarse, totally sexy and her lyrics are fun, or so you think, humming along. Then you listen to them, or you read the inset and realise that it's not all sunshine and roses. They are written by a very clever young lady who has a keen eye.


And of course - there is beautiful Jack Savoretti who I have yet to see perform live, but by all counts, he is really good. He is currently playing in various Caffe Nero venues - so watch out - he might come to one near you!


We've booked tickets to go see his gorgeousness - Seth Lakeman - in August at Regents Park and I cannot wait. We'll be seven rows from front. Squeeing. Including FG. Of course, this will be me coming away desperatingly wanting to finger my guitar until my little dog runs a mile.








No comments: