Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Student Daze

It was up at five this morning to get ready in time to get to Paddington to catch a train to Reading for my second Face To Face tutoring session for the DipSurv diploma at CEM. Thankfully this time around I knew a group of girls, so we met up before the time and travelled together. It sort of makes things easier if you hang in a "posse".
We had the introduction to our Legal Studies and Building Technology modules today - incredibly interesting. No, seriously. I can't wait to get stuck into it. I even get to use Latin in the Legal bits and we were encouraged to think plainly and logically about things in the Building Technology module. Did you know there are about ten different parts to the stairs in your house? Yup. Watch this space - will no doubt feel the urge to inflict my line drawings on the world at large.
I feel a lot more confident about this part of the module than I did about either the Technical Communication or the Land Use Planning sections - which is odd. I have absolutely no idea what either of these other two modules will contain but I think that the first part of the course really taught me to think logically, how to plot an assignment in a reasonable and relatively sensible way. Which probably goes a long way to helping in the confidence aspect of it all.
I am however concerned about work. I have not been doing anything relating to my course. I have, in fact, been doing exactly what I have been doing these past few years, with no more being given to me. Part of it is because of the graduates that has been forced onto us - they are basically doing what should in theory be coming my way. Bosses have acknowledged that I should be given more work to do, more reports and such - as opposed to just admin things. And I hope it does come my way. I am loathe to sit there and waste my time.
Right, it's 11pm and I've now been up exactly eighteen hours. I think I deserve some sleep.

No comments: