Thursday, March 20, 2008

Fan Girl Squeeing


Mark and I pootled around town today, whiling away the day, in order to get to meet the lovely Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi, authors of the books the Spiderwick Chronicles which have been made into a movie called, strangely enough, The Spiderwick Chronicles.



I also know Holly from her YA novels she had written:


  • Tithe

  • Valiant

  • Ironside
They are very well written, fun, dangerous and seemingly about real teens.


But, I digress. We headed off to Waterstones' 6th Floor and sat down and waited. I spotted some scrummy posters and asked the lovely W'stones staff member if I could have one after the fact and he said, certainly, you may. Very sweet.

We sat down and waited and slowly but surely the rest of the audience arrived - adults and kids. We did not feel out at all. Which was a big relief.


Tony and Holly came on, did a hilarious presentation about Spiderwick the movie, chatted about how their ideas became reality in the movie and how much fun they had. Oh, and we heard a lot about Beastmaster. Don't ask. You had to be there.

Anyway, about an hour later, having them entertain us with quips and stories and impromptu drawing, they sat down to sign books.


We had decided to buy Holly a present to remember the UK by - a small silver charm from Fossil, in the shape of a crown - she is the queen of YA, after all. She was totally thrilled by it - phew! - and I got my books signed, my poster too and I managed to be a COHERENT fan girl. Which is totally novel for me.

Then we pootled back home. Loot in hand!


Here are some of my pictures I took of my lovely signed items...we were so enraptured by being in their presence, we forgot we had our small digital camera with us. Sorry, Gareth - no photos! Said camera is now dead...so more photos of the other loot, later!







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL pleased to hear that you and Mark had a cracking time liz. Wish I could have been there to help with the "squeeing" (mind you does sound a bit rude. LOL)