Sunday, December 09, 2007

Contemplative


FG and I stayed awake last night to watch the Hatton/Mayweather fight and I am quite glad that we did. It was awesome to watch. We staggered to bed just before six and slept till eleven when I stumbled to the kitchen, opening windows for air and feeding the pup some breakfast.
Whilst making breakfast scones (what diet?) I contemplated how our lives have completely changed this past week, forcing us to consider a helluva lot of things about our life together. How we've made a combined decision that next year (yep, look away now, NY resolution happening long before NY) will be our frugal year. We want to save up for so many things but have to be realistic about things. Which is where the frugality comes in. I really pray to the Verse that we can pull it off.
These are my decisions relating to frugality:
1. No more books from Waterstones/Amazon (unless ridiculously cheap)
2. Visiting the library, that odd place where you are allowed to take books away...for FREE.
3. Supporting the local secondhand bookshops and charity shop, specifically the giant bookshop on Drury Lane run by one of the large charity shops, I've completely forgotten what it's called.
4. Spend more time a) studying for the DipSurv course and b) when I am not studying, working on a story I would like to have polished enough to send onto various publishers (watch out Wordweaver, I am likely to bribe with banana breads and a smattering of doggy kisses from Sparrow for help) and see what happens with that. Who knows, eh? Neither FG nor I have anything to lose.
5. Oh yes, and to lose the next 3 and a bit stone. Smiles bravely.

So that is my few ideas for next year. Have already started on them, to be exact.
Taps the table. And that's all, folks.
Tomorrow is Paris - hurrah. Tickets, passport, money, camera all in my bag...and of course the biggest question is: which book do I take with me for the day? To read on the trainjourney, that is? Apart from my moleskine to write in...goes off to examine the bookshelf.





2 comments:

Cheezy said...

Good luck with all those goals. You've inspired me to be just as systematic and determined to achieve my own :)

Liz said...

Why thank you. One has to have clear goals in order to achieve them. Or rather, that is the supposition!