Wednesday, June 15, 2005

A Rune of Thorn


How unutterably gorgeous is she? She is the handwork of Brian Froud, artist and storyteller. She can be found in a book called "The Runes of Elfland".

This is her charm:-

We are children of the briar,
uninvited guests
the knots untied
bright cords cut.
We cannot be forgotten
will not fall away
but wait in stilness
at heart of the hedge.

I am currently studying to become a helrunar - someone who can read the runes and let me tell you, it is incredibly difficult. As with many divination systems runes can relate and correspond with so much. Eventhough it is insisted that readings should be instinctual on behalf of the teller, it is still necessary to remember each correspondence to each rune.

But, I am not complaining at all. It keeps me out of trouble and the knowledge gathered along the way about Nordic and Icelandic myths and legends truly lightens it all even more.

I will try to do one or two more runes at a later stage, for interest sake. If anyone is interested in acquiring a set, do check the website belonging to a good friend of mine, John Vickery over at Wistmans Wands.

If you would like to find out more about Brian Froud do visit his website.

Please note that in no way am I showing the above artwork or charm as my own - all above belongs to Ari Berk author of the book and of Brian Froud the artist.


No comments: