Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Let's go be bad guys...


I love Joss Whedon. I was a fan of Buffy (the shows that I did manage to watch) and Angel...the music just did it for me and of course Spike being so very English (honest, guv!). I love the Fray comics (I have them all in graffic novel type) and I religiously watched Firefly the series and I even have it on dvd... Its quirky, and funny, and the one liners are brilliant. Then they decide to cancel the series...and two years on Mr. Whedon scrapes cajunes together and makes the movie, Serenity.

We saw the movie this Friday past and I must say...I didn't feel the time go by. When it ended, after such a breathstopping spin on things, I looked at FG and we both just exhaled (not realising that that heartpounding thing was actually our hearts telling us to "breathe, dammit!")and said "Wow." And then "Let's watch it again!"

As someone who grew up on cowboy books and movies - my dad was a huge fan and before I could afford my own books, these were the only books I ever read - this really hit the spot. Admittedly it is set in the future but it is enfused with old West drama; they talk the talk and walk the walk. The characters are really well developed from the series, but you don't really need to know much about the series to enjoy the movie. You get to know a lot more abour River and what had been done to her and boy, does she kick butt? When I grow up I want to be her.

But, searching imdb.com I found some of the quotes from the movie, so here you go:


The Operative: I want to resolve this like civilized men. I'm not threatening you. I'm unarmed.

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Good. [pulls gun and shoots Operative in the chest, knocking him into the wall, grabs Inara and gets ready to leave]

The Operative: [grabs Mal from behind] I am, however, wearing full body armor. I am not a moron!

Oh, and another classic line

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Yes, I've read a poem. Try not to faint.

Fantastic! Defo go see it...another one for the dvd collection when it comes out!

3 comments:

Stef said...

I've been umming and ahing about seeing this. I've heard good reviews and bad reviews and the good reviews have mainly come from people who have seen Firefly which I haven't...

Sod it! Fray was good, I'll go and see it this afternoon!

Liz said...

Stef...

I think you are in the Big Smog? if so...you can borrow our collection of Firefly dvd's.

Liz said...

I take that back...I am not sending my dvd's to Bristol!