Monday, October 03, 2005

Who cares...

about George Best anyway besides his son and his very young wife who wants his money?

Admittedly, he is in hospital with pneumonia and it has nothing to do with his liver (the new one which he messed up AGAIN by going on the lash constantly).

But, I can't help but wonder, back when he had his innards replaced if he got it done faster than so many more worthy and patient ill people out there because of who and what he used to be to the Country?

But, I am sure, it wasn't his fault that he mucked up the new one by drinking himself to a standstill, yet again. I am sure it made those who were pushed aside and further down the list all warm and fuzzy inside because "Bless, it is old Georgie, innit? I don't need to live, I am sure someone else will donate him a kidney, a heart, a liver. He is one of our favourites, after all. The fact that he is a unrepentant alkie doesn't mean a thing."

Also, this from the Sky News website:-

One of Britain's favourite football legends, George Best, is in hospital being treated for a kidney infection.

His illness is thought to be a reaction to drugs he has been taking to stop him from drinking alcohol.

Best once said of his lifestyle: 'I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered.'

Will now remove myself from my soapbox and move along to bed



4 comments:

Cheezy said...

Personally, I wish Best a speedy recovery... however, I do think he's a bit of a tosser, and it's nothing to do with his alcoholism, which I sympathise with....

It's more this: I saw a documentary about him a few months ago and he was forever making 'arrangements' to go and visit his ailing old father in Northern Ireland, and then he'd simply not turn up, and not even phone to say that he wouldn't be there. Pisshead or not - there's no excuse for that.

And then there are the constant revelations in the tabloids where 'Best Tells All' about the women he's shagged. Some of these women are just gold-diggers and star-f*ckers for sure, but others are decent, caring people, who treated George better than he's got any right to expect.

Mind you, I met a girl from Northern Ireland a while back, and she assured me that his attitude towards women is fairly typical of Ulstermen! (I hope I'm not libelling a large group of people unfairly here - I'm just reporting what she said!)

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mark said...

Lets try that again without the onset of dyslexia.
-----------

Well, I don't understand what all the fuss about him is about. I know he used to play soccer, but how many decades ago was that? And if he was so good, why isn't he helping to coach the England squad?

He's like the annoying drunk uncle you only ever see at weddings and funerals. Amusing in a pitiful way.

Cheezy said...

How many decades ago? About 3, I think. Basically, George had succeeded in pissing his career away by the age of 27. It's one of those classic 'wasted talent' stories.

I think people are easily seduced by the 'romance' of it all. That explains why people are still talking about him, but I find it all a bit lame too...

And I know Sven needs someone's help... but personally, I wouldn't let George manage a pantomime horse, let alone a football team! ;)