Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Dazed and confused

I am confused.

More so than usual. Life is a mystery.

I keep being asked “Who is your favourite band? Are you going to get their songbook and play their music?”

And I think to myself…WTF? I am a bit slutty that way. I have no favourite bands. I love all of them equally. I have got 3 playlists set up on my Zen – Noise; Girly Music; Everything Else. The playlists make complete sense to me. On my Girly Music I have Marilyn Manson eventhough he is clearly Noise...but somehow some of his songs fit. As does Bruce Springsteen. I can see the hesitation in my two colleagues at work after I stared at them blankly after they asked the question about the song books.

Is it necessary to have a favourite band? I still love Pavarotti and will sell my hair to go and see Roby Lakatos play his gypsy violin in Budapest. I can dance around the house like a maniac listening to Bond but I can also appreciate Diana Krul and her voice like velvet and treacle. I still put on the Doors when I am in a foul mood and when I feel homesick I listen to Harry Connick Jr. I save U2 for lazy days at home when no one else is around as it is music I love and am comfortable with.

I remember loving certain bands whilst growing up but I never had a fascination with them to the extent where I had all their albums and knew their music off by heart. Is this what they mean about favourite songs and bands? If it is, I think it is unhealthy - the whole range and scope of the music world is there to explore!

So no, I haven't bought any music books. I probably won't, not for a while yet. I will find out what my tutor knows and take it from there.

No comments: