Monday, December 05, 2005

Songs to learn...


Right, tutor-person Phil (first class to be the 16th December) said I should make a list of songs I would like to learn, basically from some of my favourite artists...

So, I pondered the question of "what music and what bands...?" So far I have got The Man Who Sold the World (Nirvana) Summer of 69 (Brian Adams..."I bought my first real six string...") and I am stuck...what else?

I have recently fallen in love with Creed (pic above) and one of their songs really makes my breath catch. This is it:-

With Arms Wide Open

Well I just heard the news today
It seems my life is going to change
I closed my eyes, begin to pray
Then tears of joy stream down my face

With arms wide open
Under the sunlight
Welcome to this place
I'll show you everything
With arms wide open

Well I don't know if I'm ready
To be the man I have to be
I'll take a breath, take her by my side
We stand in awe, we've created life
With arms wide open

Under the sunlight
Welcome to this placeI'll show you everything
With arms wide open
Now everything has changed

I'll show you loveI'll show you everything
With arms wide open
If I had just one wish
Only one demandI hope he's not like me
I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world
With arms wide open...

Written by Tremonti/Stapp Published by Tremonti/Stapp Music(Adm. by Dwight Frye Music, Inc.)/Dwight Frye Music, Inc. (BMI)Produced, Engineered & by John KurzwegMixed by Kirk Kelsey

I will ask to learn this too. It is nice as he pointed out that he does his lessons around what you want to learn, not what the tutor insists on having you learn. He obviously will be teaching technique and frets and chords and all the actual things, but he reckons that he finds people respond better to actually learning songs to play - it makes sense, doesn't it? Learning to play a song all the way through makes you feel accomplished and lo! inbetween you have learned chords, frets, posture etc. Cunning. We see how it goes though. I have to kiss my nails goodbye though but it is a matter I am happy to comply to.

No comments: