Friday, December 16, 2005

Sore fingers...



First lesson today with Phil of Twangg Guitars up the road from us.

What a lovely chap. The hour flew by. My fingers hurt from being shown the cords. We tuned my Fender, we talked about music, he showed me more cords, I sucked my fingers. He showed me strumming, I sucked my fingers.

I came away with two sheets of music which incorporates the chords I had learned today - Green Day's Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Let it be by the Beatles. He also handed over a cd of the Greenday song and told me to listen to it as I practice as it will make life easier hearing it being played as I practice. I have been given two sheets of chords as well with handwritten notes what to practice, technique etc. I will practice till I can play these. We didn't make another appointment for the next lesson - that can be in the new year as the stuff I had been shown today will last me at least three weeks to master. He is optimistic, I am worried stiff that I might need to break my fingers to get them into the position his fingers can go. Grin.

But, we shall remain positive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, fingers. Amazing little buggers they are, but they don't like being told to stretch into odd shapes and press down on wires. Even more tricky when your little finger sometimes locks, like mine does! But keep at it: the more you force 'em (gently, of course) into position, the better they get at it, and one day, hey, presto! they'll hop onto that chord without you even thinking about it.

I envy you the lessons, girl. Voice is all I can afford, time- or money-wise, at the minute, so I stumble along and am probably getting into goodness knows how many bad habits. But hey: I just want to write my own stuff, and that's coming along, so I'm happy enough.

Keep at it - and super glue can help with those fingers, apparently: so says my brother the ex-band member! (Just don't stick yourself together...)

X