Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Music on the move...


Last year I got a lovely unexpected surprise from FG - a belated birthday present in the shape of a Creative Zen Touch MP3 player.

I am a techie geek. I love gadgets. I was in heaven. I toodled off, ignoring him for the rest of the evening and went about playing with my new Toy. 20,000 songs = 20GB memory. Stunning stuff!

Alas, I realised today, on the way home that I am bored of my current playlists...so, I have deleted everything off the Toy and am redoing the playlists and copying more music across to it. I did however sync it up so that what I had on there, I had on the PC and vice versa. Now I have to sit and decide on the playlists...I have one thus far entitled:

U2

The others will probably be in the vein of:

Noise (Marilyn Manson, Nirvana, Guns n Roses, Staind, Foo Fighters, Creed, Placebo et al etc)
Gaming (this would incorporate music scores, Enya, Loreena McKennit and some noise, for variation)
Calming (Usually anything I can listen to that is happy background noise)
Girly (Madonna, Anastacia, Milla, One hand in my pocket-girl, etc)

What else can there be, I ask myself.

I remember now:

Music scores (Lord of the Rings, music to Last of the Mohicans, Troy, 13th Warrior, etc...)

I love my player. It is my life-saver on the train so I don't have to be subject to Mr. Businessman phoning his wife or secretary to give them instructions. Or to listen to the jibba-jabba of transfer studens from Smelly Country In Europe who, eventhough they sit opposite one another, have to SHOUT at one another, and then laugh at the top of their lungs, wafting smells of bad breath and unwashed bodies around. Or, my favourite, in the evenings, listen to the abuse hurled from one drunken sotted yob to his maaaaaaaaaayte on the phone or to his maaaaaaaaaaaaaayte on the other side of the carriage.

I realise that they could be dangerous for your health. Girl run over whilst cycling in the middle of the road listening to her iPod, case in point. Maybe she should not have been cycling in the middle of the road...but that is just my opinion. They can be bad for your hearing - granted. But then I would rather be deaf than locked up for beating seven shades of hell out of someone shouting at his mate whilst sitting next to me. They also say it is encouraging people to be more secular, to keep people from talking. Sorry, maaaaaayte, but have you seen some of the things that get to travel on the Hayes line into Charing Cross or Canon Street? No one ever speaks to strangers, why start now? Don't blame people for keeping themselves to themselves - if you don't interfere with others, they don't interfere with you = happy stalemate.

Admittedly, the one thing I hate with a passion is some little twatty person listening to their music so loudly that it "bleeds" from their £2.99 offie-bought earphones. Invariably its badly recorded RnB or rap ripped third-hand from someone else's player.

Oh gods, having just read this I realise something - I sound really old and moany. Time to go listen to Queen Madge and Marilyn Manson to get in touch with my young self.

Again.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For 'noise', I'd add some vintage Def Lepperd (sp?) and for the 'girly' category, what about Sheryl Crow and KT Tunstall? Oh, and Melanie Doane (Canadian) would amost fit into both...

Calming: Enigma, Gregorian chants... and Bach, of course (but that's just me!).

I'm looking forward to the 24th, too, matey. Sorry that mean ol' FG told you off on his blog! ;)

WW x