Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Summer tales...

Picture - naturally - courtesy of Brian Froud

The end of the month of May and nary a day of full sunshine. Now, in general I do prefer the cooler clime of this olde Albion BUT enough is enough.

I took Sparrow for a run in the park this morning before going to work and I bravely stepped forth without my jacket, thinking that it should not be necessary to wear one. I was wrong. I almost froze my patoolies off. The poor pup got run around the park at landspeed record timing and I was back inside, shrugging into my leather jacket within fifteen minutes.

The sun, please, may we have some sunshine? A week, two weeks even, would do. Just let it be warmer than 15 degrees C. We want to, we NEED to have a bbq. We longingly touched the barbeque packs in Sainsburys this evening, dreaming that misty dream of long remembered times when friends came to visit till late at night, sitting around the fire outside, listening to music, sated and stuffed on the gorgeous grilled meats FG had bbq'd. Och. Those were the days.

To encourage summer, a summery interlude of the literary kind:

And pomp, and feast, and revelry,

With mask, and antique pageantry,

Such sights as youthful poets dream

On summer eves by haunted stream

(Milton - L'Allegro (1631) )

Night of the south winds - night of the large fewstars!

Still nodding night - mad naked summer night.

(Walt Whitman - "Song of Myself," Leaves of Grass (1855) )

No comments: