Monday, May 01, 2006

Bush Hall - Shepherds Bush


It was Saturday night and we were actually going somewhere. That somewhere was Bush Hall to go and see Susy Thomas, Vince Freeman and of course, Never the Bride.

The venue was fantastic – intimate and unassuming from the outside until you go in and there is this hall slightly reminiscent of older times, high ceilings and chandeliers. Beautiful plaster mouldings – it had the sort of faded glamour look of an old Hollywood film set.



Up stepped Susy with her acoustic backing band. I think that a lot of the people that were there that night didn’t know Susy or had not heard of her before, most of them I think were NtB fans. She started her set and with her genuinely sweet jocular way had their attention within the first few seconds into her first song. The audience quietened down quite a bit and everyone sort of turned to listen to this pretty girl up there on the stage who suddenly demanded so much attention, not just because of her amazing voice but because of the genuineness of her music and lyrics. I echo Nikki’s words here and say: she is going to be big. Watch out KT Tunstall and Norah Jones! Her album is out shortly! Plug, plug…plug!


Next up was the charismatic and sweet Vince Freeman. Nikki introduced him as the next Bruce Springsteen. I beg to differ. Vince has his own style and he an enjoyable voice. He had the audience bopping along to some of his songs – I couldn’t help but think that he was such a huge contrast to these manufactured crappy boy and girl bands you see making it “big”. With his two man backing band he wowed the crowd, doing a bit of singing, a lot of playing and seemingly to be having a lot of fun up there. I have personally never heard of him but will no doubt get a copy of one of his two cd’s.

Then Nikki and Been bounced onstage, looking spectacular and seriously cool as the ultimate in cool - rock chicks! With them they had a different drummer (I couldn’t figure out his name, a bit of an ear infection happening) but they had their guitarists Murray Gould and Greg Harewood with them and you know what…I don’t have enough descriptive phrases for the sheer power that this band emanates. Admittedly Nikki was having problems with feedback from her earphones and mike and speakers, but honestly, I couldn’t care less. They made a fantastic noise – they veered from heartwrenchingly beautiful lyrics of the Living Tree to Loser in Love to Kiss Kiss and a whole bunch of others I can’t even remember. They were consummate professionals, getting over the problems with the feedback, bouncing around and giving it their all. It was brilliant and such a good evening. I danced till I gasped, laughed out loud, shouted, hollered and generally misbehaved (well, for me anyway) and had a fantastic time.

There is nothing quite like a live gig, is there?

Lyrics from the Living Tree as sung by Nikki and as has been recorded by Dame Shirley Bassey

THE LIVING TREE
Let me breathe
Cause I'm drowning in your shadow
Let me leave
Respect me
do not follow me
believe I can make me own tomorrow
Let me breathe
Does it make
You feel good cause you own me
Does it take Your puppet strings to hold me
How I ache
As you're trying to control me
Let me breathe
Let me dance 'till my shoes cry
Let me laugh
let me be
Let me dance
Let me choose my life
Let me climb the living tree
Picture this
When you wake up in the morning
And I kiss Your sorry ass goodbye
What will I miss
There's nothing I can think of as I leave
Let me dance 'till my shoes cry
Let me laugh
let me be
Let me dance
Let me choose my life
Let me climb the living tree

No comments: