Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ketchup!


After the looong wait, I am now the proud owner of a treasure of South Africa - a book written by one of the coolest ladies of literature (sadly now passed away) Dalene Matthee - called Kringe in 'n bos - which translates to Circles in a Forest.
This was a set-work book for us in High School and I loved it then, and I am loving it now, eventhough I am struggling my ass off reading the Afrikaans. I usually manage around 50 - 60 pages on the train reading an English book...not so with this one - I am averaging around 20 pages. But it is fantastic good fun - so thank you, Darren and May for bringing me my treasure!
And it is official - I now weigh way over a stone less than I did a few months ago - so yay me!
Creativity wise - writing odds and sods - have got a new bee in bonnet, one that has been festering - bookbinding...spent a shocking amount Friday past at the gorgeous Falkiners shop in Holborn buying "stuff" for my first two projects. Jamie and Viv, keep an eye out in the post - either something fab or something utterly awful only to bring out when we visit to make us feel good. Or not. Also tried my hand at drawing on Sunday and it turns out....I am less bad at it than I thought I was and I am more a manga illustrator than I am a impressionist.
Desperately waiting for warmer weather - we are planting out our chili's this weekend, and some other potplants etc. to make a nice cottage-ey feel to our clayclotted garden - we've given up trying to plant grass. The real thing, not marijuana, that is. So we are putting down paving blocks. Nervous laughter. Will be able to post about it no doubt, if we can pull it off.
Hasta!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done, Amazing You, on the lost stone - fabulous!

And the book will be wonderful, too, I've no doubt.

Will pass on the Afrikaans news to the Sprache Fürherin (aka Ms Botes) tomorrow.

And as for paving blocks, I'm beginning to think you two can pull anything off...

From her and me to you and him

xx