Sunday, March 18, 2007

This coming week...

...will see us going to a foodie event at Borough Market - after hours. "For those who like good food, but not the crowds." And I am thrilled. The boy got sent some invites to the event. Yay! It will be a preview of the seasonal foods for the coming few months. Here's hoping the snow and bad weather does stay away.



We are also going to go see 300 at the Imax - yes, we are thrilled. I am already taking my headache tablets in preparation. The noise! Grin.





I am a fan of Frank Miller's art and his style of story telling. It is brutal, to the bone, to the core. The trailers of 300 look amazing. Someone I tend to chat with at work about books and movies expressed his serious reservations about the movie, stating that it looks incredibly bloody, gory and not at all a historical fiction. I agreed, I could see all his points, but I did say to him, in my mind, this is mythic story telling...everything is darker, scarier, more profound and violent. This is about legends, the agents of chaos, the fears of a race about to be destroyed by a violent and unsurmountable enemy. This is Sparta the way it is not portrayed in Helen of Troy or in the Illiad or the Odyssey. This is the way Alexander should have been shot - uncompromising, an exploration of the myth and legend of a man so great his story is still sung in the countries he conquered in his relentless drive of world domination. Not the rubbish we got to see on screen a few years back with Mr. Farrell and his blonde locks belting out gobshyte in a ridiculous Oirish accent.

In 300, we hope to see the battle that still resonates within a nation, across the world today, thousands of years after it had happened. What would the world have been like had Leonidas not managed to withstand the army of Persia all that time ago?



I am looking forward to it.

No comments: