Saturday, April 26, 2008

A cupcake a day...

The almost-birthday girl

In an effort to experiment with baking cakes and such (I've got a very important person's 2nd birthday party coming up) I tried my hand at making and decorating cupcakes today and let me say, what a doddle.

I had huge amounts of fun. I also - again - tried to bake the butterfly cake which I have managed to pull off once before. This time around - big disaster. Just like the round tins which I tried last week.
I am clearly better at baking the smaller cakes, biscuits, scones, breads and muffins - no big patterned or round cakes for me...hmm. This is a problem as the butterfly cake is what is needed for the 2nd birthday party of my god-daughter, Ashleigh (as pictured above).
I think more experimentation will be required, much to Mark's horror as he is worried that his slim waist will expand. But it is all in the name of a good cause. Fortunately the party is on the 10th of May so I have plenty of time. Addresses on a postcard for those who want some of the flop cakes - they invariably taste gorgeous but come out a bit...broken.
On the other hand, it gives me great joy to brag with my excellent cupcakes.

Warm, out of the oven



Experimentally decorated



The completed product.

These sell for £1.75 at a stall in Greenwich. It probably cost me 25p to make and decorate. Go figure.

No comments: